Sunday, February 3, 2008

What does Lent means to YOU?

Lent is starting early this year with Ash Wednesday being on February 6, 2008 and Easter is also early on March 23, 2008. Every year on Ash Wednesday, the day that we, Catholics are obliged to fast and abstain from meat, it becomes a challenge to stay within the rules and find the true meaning of Lent for oneself.

What are the Rules? Here's what was written from the back cover of our Church calendar:

CHURCH REGULATIONS REGARDING FAST & ABSTINENCE DURING LENT


¨Abstinence from meat (beast or fowl) is to be observed by all Catholic 14 years old and older on Ash Wednesday and on all Fridays of Lent. This obligation prohibits eating of meat, but not eggs, milk products, or condiments of any kind, even though made from animal fat."

¨Fasting means limiting oneself to one full meal on a given fast day. Catholics who are 18 years of age but not yet 59 are obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. On fast days, two additional smaller meals are permitted if necessary to maintain strength. However, the two smaller meals together may not equal one full meal. Moreover, eating solid foods between meals on fast days is not permitted."

So here's how I found my meaning of Lent last year on Ash Wednesday:

Last year, I had to go the 6:30 AM morning mass, because I had work and I was taking a class at night. Because I woke up early, I became superhungry. According to the Lenten regulations, I can eat two small meals (as long as they don't equal to be a full meal) and one full meal. To many, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but as for me, I usually skip it or I just have one piece of bread with the Norbertine Sister's yummy jams in the morning. So, on Ash Wednesday, I had my one piece of bread with jam. For lunch, I went out with a friend and we shared a fish burrito combo from Rubios. During work, I realized that when I focus on fasting, it becomes harder to fast. With all the access to food and snacks, the temptation to snack is harder to battle, but because when I have a bottle of water sitting on my desk, I am reminded that, water is the only thing I can drink that day and that Lent was a time of cleasing of the soul. After work, I had a night class from 6:30PM until 9 PM, and starved until I came home, only to make a fish sandwich for dinner and trying not to commit the sin of gluttony.

Besides the fasting and abstinence, I was encouraged to leave the ashes in the sign of the cross on my forehead for the whole day, even during work and night class. The truth was that I never left the ashes for the whole day. I usually just wipe it off when I got home from the evening Ash Wednesday mass. I didn't know whether or not I can clean/wash the ashes away or not, so I left the ashes on my forehead during work and class. My co-workers did comment on my thick ashes, so did my professor. And whenever they commented, I would just smile because I didn't know what else to say. Eventhough, it was tough at first, feeling a little ashamed of my Catholicity, but it made me stronger and proud to be a Catholic and reminded me of the cross that was made for me to carry.

Lent reminds me that I am made from ashes by God, in His image, and that I am His. I am encouraged to carry my cross with a smile. With the cross, Lent reminds me to cleanse my soul through the Sacrament of Reconciliation and Penance, not just during Lent but throughout the year. Through the cross and penance, Lent tells me that there is hope where there is God because Jesus died and was resurrected.

So, what does Lent means to you?

No comments: