Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

The Last Seven Words of Jesus

I.
"Pater, dimitte illis, quia nesciunt, quid faciunt."
"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Luke 23:34

II.
"Hodie mecum eris in Paradiso."
"Amen I say to you, this day you shall be with me in Paradise."

Luke 23:43

III.

"Mulier, ecce filius tuus."
"Woman, behold your Son...Behold your mother."
John 19:26-27

IV.

"Deus meus, Deus meus, utquid dereliquisti me?"
"My God! My God, why have you forsaken Me?"
Mark 27:46

V.

"Sitio."
"I thirst."
John 19:28

VI.

"Consummatum est."
"It is finished"
John 19:30

VII.

"In manus tuas, Domine commendo spiritum meum."
"Father, into your hands, I commend my spirit."
Luke 23:46


"The seven last words of Jesus are also our seven last words – the words of terror and loneliness, of fear and horror, of despair and final surrender as we complete our journey and perhaps begin a new one."
--Andrew M. Greeley

No comments: